Monday, July 18, 2005


#4
~ ONE WEEK to GO ! ~

We spent the end of last week getting all our papers notarized. After the parents had signed off permission for me to take legal charge of the girls in and out of the countries, I had to do some major running around. Early Thursday I took off North to Augusta to get the Secretary of State's signature and seal on the permission forms (8:30 a.m. there).
Then turned back South and drove to Boston. I arrived in Medford, MA, (just Northwest of BeanTown, where my Ecuadorian "sister" lives) about 12:30. I listed to Jazz going North, and the full Phantom of the Opera Soundtrack going South. The traffic was not bad.
I took a quick break in Medford, dropped off my over-night stuff, then headed out to the Chilean Embassy in Brighton (West of Boston, just South off I90). My MapQuest and GoogleMap didn't totally agree, so I wandered a bit and finally called the Consulate. He redirected me and I got there quickly. [I'd been better off going down Beacon Street! - I was at least familiar with that area! ~ah, well]

The Consulate is in a nice little neighborhood, with a tiny round-a-bout just out front. The island itself is about 4 feet in diameter with a tree in the center and some boulders around it. I asked two people having a chat on the sidewalk stone wall where the Chilean Embassy was, and they pointed at a house beside them. I parked in the half-round driveway (big enough for about 2 cars) and walked past the Chilean flag flying outside the door and went inside. I entered a room that was more like a finished basement with a small washer/dryer set-up and a coat rack. I was called from a back room to "come on in" - went through a short corridor and into a small office what was the other side of the finished basement.

One desk, shared by two brothers, who looked to be twins, although I never got the chance to ask. A computer on one side, which Philip was busily using, and a programable typewriter on the other, into which Paul would enter information that would be auto-typed onto forms. They were intently finishing up some official paperwork for someone while I sat and waited. Most of the furniture in the 10 x 14 room was antique. On the wall was a variety of U.S. and Chilean artifacts. Paul's Consul Certification and some other various Naval declarations about him, both in English and Spanish. There were bronze vultures around the room in various sizes (which made me wonder if the national bird of Chile is the vulture, as it is in Ecuador, but again, I never got the chance to ask). The office was tiny and cozy ... and definitely cooler than the humid July air outdoors.

The official talk was mixed with some interesting banter tossed around. Both were Harvard graduates and quick witted. Chats on the phone were mixed: the Embassy in New York City and some close acquaintances. Philip at one point told Paul: "Your stuff is on my desk." I noted that there was only ONE desk ... and chuckled to myself. They sent me off to BankAmerica for a deposit (in the Consulate's account). Philip walked me out to the curb to give directions. We ran into a neighbor and they proceded to recount the previous evening's 3 a.m. excitement of Fire Trucks in the neighborhood, because someone across the street on the 3rd floor rear apartment had forgotten to extinguish their charcoal grill out on the balcony before going to bed. It caused some very early morning commotion.

I did my assigned chore quickly and returned ... Paul, the Consul, had finished all the fine details and personal writings to each and every document for the girls. Stamped, sealed, signed, and checked. When I asked about next year, whether to do the process in person or by mail, he strongly indicated that "in person" was definitely the way to go. Actually, I would really enjoy going back to them again. It was interesting.

I wanted to take a photo of the two, but, again, things were done quickly, efficiently, yet casually. I was in my car waving good-bye before I realized Philip was just coming back up the street from somewhere ... I hesitated on the photo, wondering if it would be awkward for them ... I kept getting befuddled between their "official" personna and their casual. Next year I'll just plain ASK.

I returned to Monse's home (remember? my Ecuadorian sister, in Medford - "our" mother Elena is visitng from Guayaquil for the summer) ... and spent the next day or two with them. It has given me a good jump on my convo español for the trip. They are my second family, but we spent about 10 years deeply separated, due to a separate reason, and just last summer have we begun to re-establish our close relationship. I'm blessed.


[For McAuley people: is it just my imagination that Elena reminds me of Sister Francis Clare? .. bad photo of us all.. ah, well]

Tomorrow I'm at McAuley with some of the girls to work on their PowerPoint presentations. I'm trying to tie up all the lose ends ... because I know there's ALWAYS something that will surprise one, once everything seems set! ¡Esté lista!
~ Dubi

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow dubi
you have been doing so much!
thank you for everything that you have done for me while i have been close to you and thank you for take care of the nicest of nice girls we have at school
be safe
have fun
write lots
take many photos


Love,
Emily

P.s.hope to get together when you come back with everyone for many wonderful stories!

Thursday, 21 July, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home